onsdag 23 mars 2016

Assignment: Social skills

Week 17 on Wednesday - Afternoon tea with mingling

Three lessons: Wednesday week 12, 14 and 15 for research

Purpose: to feel more confident when you find yourself in social situations outside school. You will also learn about historical people from the English speaking world.

Topic: a roleplay -  you will play the part of a historical character real or fictional. You have been invited to afternoon tea at my palace in London where you will meet different people.

HOW

* I will give you a card with the name of the character you will act.

* Prepare for some opening phrases, such as "Hello, have you travelled far?" I'm XX an I've come here from X." or "Are you enjoying yourself?" or " Quite a gathering here tonight, don't you think?"

* Prepare some appreciative phrases such as"Really, how interesting!" or "I didn't know that." This will prevent you from saying "oh", "wow", or "OK" all the time which might sound as if you don't know English or as if you are disinterested.

* Prepare some departure phrases. Don't get stuck with one person, it's perfectly alright  to move on to someone else after a little while. " Well, it's been very nice meeting you, I certainly hope we will have the chance to talk again." is a good departure phrase that won't sound rude. Another one is
 " You know, I have to speak to someone over there, it's been a pleasure talking to you. I hope we'll meet again."

* Take control over your body. Your body, voice and eyes are extremely important in a social situation, Nodding too vigorously can be interpreted as being aggressive instead of interested. Distinguish Swedish sounds from English. For example, "Mhm" or "Mmmm" means different things in the two languages. ( If you don't know what to do with your hands, place them behind your back rather than fidgeting or putting them into pockets.)

* You can make up for poor grammar or vocabulary by being interested. Share personal experiences: " Yes, That happened to me too." or " Tell me, do you believe......? "

* Exaggerate! Don't be afraid overdoing it. In many English-speaking cultures both polite gestures and expressions such as "please", "sorry" and "excuse me" are used to give a polite expression.
Voice intonation is also used to create impact with the other person. In Sweden this is sometimes interpreted as a bit "too much" or superficial. Remember that this is merely a cultural trait that you look upon with your own cultural glasses.
       Keep an open mind and try to exaggarate a little to sound more authentic in your English-speaking role. 

CHECKLIST
* Have I researched the historical character I am to play?

* Do I have some opening phrases to start off with?

* Have I prepared two or three appreciative phrases?

* Do I have some suitable departure phrases in mind?

* Am I in control with my body language?

* Am I prepared to bring up personal experiences in a conversation?

* Do I exaggerate my intonation and my gestures?


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar